The PlayStation 4 (PS4) is not just a home video game console but a multimedia device for home theater. You can transfer kinds of videos to PlayStation4 via an external USB drive or stream various of movies into PlayStation4 through a DNLA media server that is on the same network as your PS4 system. Supposing you have bunch of AVI files at hand, chances are you want to play AVI files on PS4. However, when you trying to do this, you’ll find it a painful experience:
“I’ve been trying to play .avi files on my PS4, but PS4 won’t recognize them when I plug in my external hdd.”
“I just confused why my PS4 could play some of my AVI files, while refuse to play other my AVI files got from video sharing website.”
That’s sheer weird! According to its official website, PS4 has claimed to support for AVI files, thus there should be no problem playing AVI in PS4. While, in practice, we often encounter similar issues as the above described when importing AVI files to PS4, what’s on earth the matter? Based on our multiple testing, we come to find out that PS4 can only play AVI files with MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2 and MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital) and as for other AVI files, PS4 does not play them at all. Under this circumstance, for the purpose of importing/adding AVI to PS4 and playing AVI on PS4 with no trouble, the best workaround is to convert PS4 unknown AVI files to PS4 supported AVI, MP4, MKV, MP3 and more.
To achieve the goal, Brorsoft Video Converter (available for Windows and Mac users) is the best video app we can recommend. With it, you can fast encode/re-encode AVI to PS4 compatible format with original video quality, so you can quickly and easily enjoy your AVI files to ensure a smooth playback. Except for converting all kinds of AVI to PS4, AVI to PS4 Converter also enables to convert other videos and audios like MP4, MOV, MKV, FLV, WMV, VOB, etc to PS4 for ease playback. Before converting, you can also crop, trim, add watermark or subtitles to the video if you want.
Tutorial: Converting AVI Videos to PS4 friendly format
Step 1: Load AVI files
Download the AVI video converter on your computer, install and run the program, add .avi videos. You can choose to import videos or the entire folder by clicking the top left two icons.
Step 2: Select the output format
Click on the dropdown menu of “Format” and then move your pointer to “PSP/PS3”. From the sub-list, you can choose “PS3 Video(720P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)”, “PS3 Video(1080P) MPEG-4(*.mp4)” as the target format for your PS4.
Tip: If the default video/parameters can’t meet your needs, just click Settings icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Step 3: Start AVI to PS4 conversion
After all necessary settings, you can hit the “Convert” to start converting AVI to MP4 with best video settings for PS4.
Once the conversion finished, click “Open” in main interface to quick locate the converted video. Then, you can stream the converted movies to PS4 via DLNA or USB freely.
How to Play converted AVI files on PS4?
After all, the PlayStation 3 allowed you to not only play videos, but also store them locally on the hard drive. Unfortunately the latter is not possible with the PS4 (yet!), but you can use a USB stick to play your favourite videos, and here’s how.
1. Your USB stick needs to be in FAT32 or exFAT (the latter didn’t work for me, and NTFS definitely won’t work). This means that 4GB+ files may be an issue so cut them down to size if need be.
2. Windows 7/8 don’t make it easy to format your drives to FAT32, so you will have to download a third party piece of software here: FAT32Format
3. FAT32Format will allow you to format the drive very quickly to FAT32.
4. If this still doesn’t work, you may have to go for a full format.
* Go to Start Menu -> Type CMD in Search Programs and Files, right-click to run as admin [Windows 7]
* Right-click Start button -> Select Command Prompt (Admin) [Windows 8/8.1]
* Type “format i: /FS:FAT32” without the quotes, where i is replaced with whatever the USB drive is, be sure to get the right drive.
* Press enter and it should start formatting, but it will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
5. Create a folder on the USB stick, and place all videos into this folder. It doesn’t need to be called PS4, just needs to be a folder, else you won’t see anything.
6. Audio needs to be in a folder called Music.
7. You can now go into the Media Player and select the USB stick from the list to watch your videos. Media Servers on your network will also be listed here i.e. Plex etc.